Results > 3rd-4th September 2016 - Zandvoort

A superb race meeing sees Sergison and Derossi share the wins.

Historic Grand Prix of Zandvoort

September 2nd-4th 2016

A fine entry of thirty was received for HF3ís first visit to the Historic Grand Prix of Zandvoort; unfortunately a hospital visit ruled out Gerald Ludwig in his ex Rivet Brabham BT28, and repairs to Paul Waineís De Sanctis took longer than anticipated.

Qualification took place on Friday in good dry conditions, but sadly without Mauro Poponcini who contrived to fall off his push bike in the paddock, and put himself out of action for the weekend. The session was halted after 3 laps to sort out an oil spillage, and at that point Pete Thompson was quickest with a low 2.02. Once the session resumed, times started to tumble with Roland Fischer posting a 1:59.341; Mark Pangborn immediately responded with 1:57.768 which remained fastest. Thierry Gallo posted 1:57.865 almost a full second ahead of Francois Derossi on 1:58.864 and Simon Armer fourth on 1:59.341; Leif Bosson posted the final sub two minute lap to take sixth.

Widmer was next up ahead of HF3 returnee Philippe Bonny; Pete Thompson was a little off his usual pace but ahead of Mussa, an impressive Clas Muller and Slotine in his familiar Merlyn. A group of seven Brits were next, Blockley and Sergison heading Robs Lamplough and Keith Messer; Jim Timms was seventeenth with a slightly rusty Mike Scott playing himself back in. Chris Hollandís wretched season continued, this time a cracked block finishing his weekend in spite of the best efforts of the HF3 paddock. Barry Sewell only recognised half the circuit, which has been shortened in the twenty years since his last visit. There were no major problems for the remaining runners, Peter Barclay had an oil leak, and fellow Australian Kim Shearn was racing the Penny in Europe for the first time in over fifty years; apart from being under geared and twitchy he was enjoying himself.

Race one produced plenty of excitement, both Pangborn and Gallo were adjudged to have made over eager starts, and had 10 seconds added to their race times. As the field screamed through at the end of lap one it was Derossi in the lead, behind him, came a frantic group consisting of Pangborn, Fischer, Armer, Mussa, Bosson and Widmer, whilst Gallo headedfor the pits with a broken throttle cable. The action behind was equally exciting with places constantly changing as the field charged towards the Tarzan hairpin. It was not to last, Fischer had a piston seize, and then Pangborn and Armer made contact which put the unfortunate Armer into the perimeter wall, and out for the weekend. Simon was fortunate to escape with a damaged ankle; the March was less fortunate. Mark Pangborn was judged to have been at fault and was penalised ten places on the grid for race two. Whilst all this was being sorted out, the safety car appeared, and once the dust had settled, Derossi remained in the lead, from Thompson (9th on grid), Widmer (7th) Mussa (10th) Bosson, and Sergison who had contrived to rise to sixth from his lowly 14th grid place. Once the safety car was withdrawn Derossi maintained his lead, but behind, Sergison was working his way forward and passed Thompson for second on lap 8; Widmer had been up to third at one point, but came home fourth ahead of Mussa who was being closed on by Jim Blockley. Leif Bosson just held off Keith Messer by less than a tenth of a second; Messer having worked his way through a squabbling group comprising Scott, Muller, Bonny, Slotine and Lamplough. A subdued Pangborn came home 14th after his jump start penalty was taken into account. After his qualifying dramas, Peter Barclay brought his Radio London BT15 home in 19th, whilst Kim Shearn got the Penny to itsí first European finish since 1965.

The grid for race two was based on fastest laps in race one, and produced a couple of surprises; Mike Scott starting second behind Sergison, and Keith Messer lining up fifth behind Derossi. This time it was Scott and Thompson who were judged to have jumped the start, both receiving ten second penalties; at the end of lap one it was Scott leading, causing much excitement in the Scott camp on the pit wall, ahead of Sergison, Derossi, Widmer and Mussa. The lively mob from race one, carried on in race two, with Messrs Bosson, Bonny, Muller, Lamplough, Muller and Slotine providing much entertainment. Gallo starting from the back, and Pangborn from twelfth on the grid, both became embroiled in the action before being able escape to calmer waters. In spite of his best efforts, including a brief off at Tarzan, Derossi couldnít do anything about Sergison, who went on to take his first victory in HF3, Scott held on to take third in spite of his time penalty. Widmer made it to fourth in spite of fuel feed problems; Messer made a cautious start, but managed to pass Mussa on the last lap to take a fine fifth. Mussa cursing a fuel shortage headed Thompson and Gallo who made a fine, if frustrated, recovery drive to finish eighth with Pangborn 9th. Bonny took the honours in the mid field discussions from Bosson, Muller, Lamplough and Slotine.

Poor Jim Blockley had his engine let go in the biggest possible way to round off his disappointing season; Ewen Sergison winning in his other car the BT21 cannot have been much comfort.

Running alongside the two races was The Nations Cup for the Bev Bond Trophy presented to the Association by our late friend. This year it was Switzerland who took the honours, from Great Britain B, and France. The Swiss team of Widmer, Scott and Messer retain the trophy for the next year. Glasses were raised to absent friendsí, in particular the much missed Bev.

The Zandvoort Historic Grand Prix was enjoyed by all who took part, and produced superb racing on the circuit in the dunes; the fervent hope is that we be invited back in 2017.

Mike Faloon.

View Results/Timings (as a PDF document)

Site by Netspin